The San Diego Theatre Critics Circle is dedicated to discussing, critically thinking about, and recognizing excellence and the achievements of professional theatres throughout San Diego County.
We believe the arts are a powerful force in our community and that critical theatrical coverage is enhanced by being committed to including all perspectives in theatre coverage. We are open to anyone who meets the membership requirements and we strongly encourage BIPOC, trans/non-binary/gender non-conforming, and queer writers to apply.
Our organization has two membership levels to welcome and accommodate both those who are still growing in their writing career, as well as those who are more established. Both levels require the following from our membership:
- Prospective members must adhere to the standards of journalistic objectivity and ethics.
- They must not have any connection to the San Diego theater community that would constitute a conflict of interest in reviewing.
Associate Membership Level
Membership is open to any skilled writer who is interested in learning the craft of theater criticism and would like to see and write about theater.
Required production viewing:
Attend at least 60 percent of the productions staged during the 9-month period of review
Show at least three samples of pertinent writing and demonstrate the ability to write about a live or virtual theater performance
The associate will have a monthly review of their writing by a group-designated mentor.
Periodically, two of the associate’s reviews will be submitted for evaluation by the entire existing membership group.
Becoming a Full Member:
After a 9-month review period, a secret-ballot vote will be held among the membership. The candidate must receive a two-thirds affirmative vote for Full Membership in the organization.
At that time, the review period will be over, and the candidate will advance to full dues-paying, voting membership status, or they are welcome to reapply as an associate member after one year’s time.
Full Membership Level
- Membership is open to any skilled writer of theater criticism that has an established forum where they publish their reviews and features.
- Consent to keeping all Critic Circle discussions, nominations, and awards confidential until they are publicly presented.
- They must commit to attending meetings throughout the year (virtually or in-person) to critically discuss, nominate, and vote on all eligible productions
- Pay the annual membership dues
Required production viewing:
Attend at least 80 percent of the productions staged during the 12 month calendar year of production eligibility
Show at least three examples of published writing about a live or virtual theater performance time of application
For further information, or to apply, contact SDTCC Vice President Pat Launer: patlauner at gmail.com